- Bring the milk to a slight boil.
- In a separate bowl mix the sugar, salt, cornflour and normal flour together.
- Once the milk is boiling take about a cup full from the pot and add it to the dry ingredients
- Mix the milk and the dry ingredients until well combined and add it back to the milk in the pot
- Cook this mixture on a low heat until the mixture thickens up, this is how you will know its cooked
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs and add this to the cooked mixture together with the butter
- Combine well and add this to your pan where you have prepared your favorite crust
- Sprinkle some cinnamon on top and pop it in the fridge to set.
My mom loved entertaining and hosting friends and family. This recipe in an old family favorite and everyone loves it. I am so spoiled that I do not like any other melktert, it is THAT good! The filling is smooth and rich but not overly sweet. It sets perfect with a slight wobble when cut and plated. My favorite is to mix tennis biscuits and butter for the crust, but this recipe also have its own special crust (something for a next post)
In this post I will share with you the recipe and one other way to plate it. In the picture above I have made mini melkterts as I prepared them for a friends birthday at the office and a whole tart will be too small. Getting pre-made “cups” will help to make a whole lot of small melkterts.
Filling Recipe ;-
6 cups of milk
1 cup sugar
In the picture above I added some of the mixture to some glass jars that make it look real fancy and one can serve this as dessert. This recipe can be made fancy by plating it in different ways or it can be served in the traditional way as a slice of goodness.
What is your favorite at the moment? Tell me by leaving a comment below.